Man dies after chugging a pint
Posted on 5:46pm Friday 15th Jun 2012
29-year-old Andrew Thompson had been drinking cans of lager with friends at a football match then went to a friend’s house where a group of men were drinking shots of fortified wine. He then decided to pour a bottle of rum into a pint glass and downing it in one, and later died. A friend recalled Mr Thompson being “full of bravado” before downing it.
Afterwards, he fell asleep on the sofa and appeared to be snoring but about 2AM his pals noticed he was a different colour and called an ambulance. He sustained a severe brain injury caused by cardiac respiratory arrest. West Yorkshire coroner David Hinchliff said his alcohol level was 379 mp per 100 mls of blood, which was almost 5 times the legal limit for driving.
It would have caused him to fall into a deep sleep, stifling his cough reflex and causing his stomach contents to enter his lungs. The coroner has said his death should act as a warning to others to not drink in excess and drink responsibly.